Saturday, April 23, 2011

Sectionals (Saturday 3-0)

We came in as the third seed in our pool and finished the day undefeated, playing Georgia tomorrow for the 3rd seed at regionals.

First game was against some Arts School, we beat them 13-3 or so.  Notable bits where:
  • Wholesaling every other points simply because we could - this was the first tournament since ACC that we had enough players.
  • Blake (freshman, kinda (very) redneck) getting beat by a girl; followed by Phil yelling on the field "Your Daddy won't have been beaten". (Previously at Freaknit he was injured, got drunk on the sideline and told us all about his Daddy.  Blake said a Freaknit "My Daddy ain't no p___y, he drinks Bud straight from the can").
Second game was against Georgia Tech, 13-11ish.   Both teams played very well, and while it got a little chippy I don't think it became un-spirted (both teams each had two questionable calls). We went down a break early, got it back, and were leading by 2-3 breaks at half.  After half we got a few more (score at one point was 6-10), then Tech rallied before we closed it out.  Notable bits where:
  • Matt Radcliff shutting down Nick Lance, one of Tech's best players.  Matt put on a clinic of excellent man defense.
  • I got a D by field awareness, Trey had 4 Ds in one point (I was on that point, it was long, our handlers kept on forcing shots in the wind), and Tennessee playing the best D I have seen all year (like the Wilmington game, but better).  I think Pirckle and Phil had a nice D as well, along with others that I don't remember.
  • Mustache Cup.  We took those handlers for a ride.
  • Winning.
Third game was against Kennesaw State, who has a giant person aptly named Tree.  This game was closer than it should have been (we ended up winning on Universe point starting on D).  Nothing really notable about this game; we didn't play like we played during the Tech game, but I don't think at any time we were scared of losing.  Maybe that confidence is what made that game so close to start with.

Side Note:
Yuk went 3-1 today, with a 7-11 loss to PSU and another win over Shippensburg.  Shame that their conference gets 5 bids for 7 teams, I would have loved in Yuk shut Shippensburg out of regionals.

No comments:

Post a Comment