 |
| Defenders inability to learn |
|
All of the frisbee teams I have been on have emphasized the Mountain Cut. Cut one direction, and then quickly change and go the opposite. For a defender then, why do we get beaten by this cut? We should expect that after a few steps the offense is going to change direction. Is it just that defenders just don't know the moment? This seems to simple; would think that with a little prediction the defense could dominate.
I think this cut works for a couple reasons.
ReplyDelete1. At the peak of the cut is when the O player is in control. Sure, the defender can anticipate that part of the cut all he wants, but because the O player is in control of when this break occurs, he should have a slight advantage.
2. The vertical (up/downfield) component of the mountain cut forces the defender to respect the entire cut, lest he get horribly burned either in or deep. Makes it harder for a defender to play lazy or more poachy.
3. Really, any cut is about trying to gain a slight advantage. This cut, the charge-at-your-defender-to-get-him-on-his-heels cut, the stutter step… they're all ways to try to throw off a defender and gain the slight advantage you need to get the disc. The unpredictability of the cut itself works in concert with a lot of other things (for instance, "Is the cutter trying to get the in or the out?" or "Does the thrower have this throw?"). I think it just happens that the mountain cut is a useful cut in a lot of situations, not that it's the most difficult to defend or that it's employed in unpredictable ways.
I essentially agree. I just found it really frustrating that something this simple is so hard to guard.
ReplyDeleteCongratulations on making regionals!