Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Potlatch Bus

So, if you were taking a VW bus from Pittsburgh to Seattle would it be best to run on bourbon or beer?

Below I complied some data on the energy in different types of alcohol.  I think it is interesting that the calories per mL does not follow the energy content as expressed by calories per mL, but that is probably because only a few calories come from the alcohol. In order to estimate the amount of fuel needed I found that Audi has an E100 vechicle that gets 25 mpg. I then based my calculations on a 350 mile trip.  On the last column I tried to take into account that the MPG will change with driving as you loose some of the significant fuel weight for the low alcohol (mpg model form Stat Crunch), but that gives very different results due to having a much higher starting mpg in the regression model.
So it looks like Franzia is the best solution!

2 comments:

  1. I'm curious about other favorites, like Bacardi 151, absinthe, St. Ides, and Steel Reserve High Gravity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I added a few more - I forgot what you asked for. Getting forgetful in old age.

    ReplyDelete