Wednesday, March 20, 2013

DOE REMS Program

The presenter from ORAU today mentioned that ORAU preforms the analysis of the dosimeter data for the DOE. The actual report is interesting and y'all should go skim it, but since I doubt you will I will highlight what I thought was interesting.

Only 2 people in the last 5 years have ever exceeded their occupational exposure in a DOE lab (at least that were reported), and both were from accidents.  In addition, only 4 people since 2007 have received a dose greater than 2 rem (pg 3-5).

I think the trend of the dose rate is curious; I don't know why it why so how in the 70's-80's but I think that it is probably due to better precautions / safety practices / ARALA.  Also neat is the increase in 2010 - right when recovery dollars were spent on cleanup and remediation of sites which cause workers to get more dose.
Pg. 3-22

Finally, don't work at SRS if you want to keep your dose down.
Pg.  3-9

No comments:

Post a Comment