The past few days I have been working on measuring semi-large scale layered detector systems. These are layers of plexiglass, and detectors, with light collection only from one end. So far the results have been a little bit disappointing, but that is the thug research life.
 |
| Looking down the fishtail light guide for the first sample (EJ-426 HD2) |
 |
| Wrapped EJ-426 HD2 |
The following is an example of the somewhat poor optical coupling that was achieved. You can see that there are thin bubbles of air in the optical grease that are trapped. I couldn't figure out how to get rid of them without applying too much optical grease, which tends to degrade detector performance.
 |
| Example of poor optical coupling |
 |
| Layered carborane detector. The layers are coupled with optical grease. |
 |
| Example of coupling to the fishtail light guide (carborane detector) |
So we will see how these detectors work - in general I think the performance will be much lower than expected and simulated.
Other projects:
- trying to figure out what's giving me so many gammas in the thermal neutron subtraction (I don't know why this wasn't done before - perhaps when the irradiator was designed and built by a previous student)
- Thesis Proposal
- Project Website - you should really check it out in case you need a bigger picture of this project
 |
| MARS! |
No comments:
Post a Comment