Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Ramsey Falls and Vim

Along the trail to Ramsey Falls
Over the weekend I revisited the Smoky Mountains to do some hiking.  I hiked the Ramsey Fall trail, which is a nice 8 mi round trip.  About 1/3 of the trail even has gravel, but once the gravel stops it gets kinda rocky.  Seems like whoever designed the trial took you straight up runoff stream beds.

Think about this for a second - why is there water falling over falls at all?  In order to be at the lowest potential wouldn't we expect the water to cascade down as quickly as possible - an 9.8m/ss rush of water from the source to the bottom.  So why does it take longer than that - and why is there a head on the top of a waterfall? 

 The reason is the viscosity of the fluid.  I can't figure out how to post formulas, otherwise I would post it.  It is really cool though.  It is awesome when you get to apply something from the classroom; it makes me so excited!

Excited!
YOU know what else makes me excited?  Vim now has autocomplete!

No comments:

Post a Comment