Sunday, August 21, 2011

Items for thought

 Ultimate Update:
Voodoo practice yesterday was a little disappointing.  We had low numbers, so we did 5 games to +-3, where a turn was -1 and a score was +1.  We only had two games that ended because of +3.  I missed an opportunity for a nice bid on Markham; you never appreciate your water until it's gone.

Items for Thought:
  • Ever notice how the shower curtain moves in when you are taking a hot shower? Why does this happen?  My theory is that hot water warms the air around the stream, causing it to rise.  Cold air than falls down to take it's place.
  • A pot boils faster with a lid than without.  How much faster?  Does it depend on the amount of water in the pot? Is the dominant factor heat not escaping, or that the lid keeps the pressure higher than atmospheric pressure in the pot?  I think a clever way of testing if it is pressure related or not is to fill the pot completely full of water (i.e. fill the pot in a bucket of water) so that no air is in it, measure the temperature profile with and without a lid.  If it is pressure related, then we shouldn't expect to see much of a difference between the two profiles because the density of water doesn't expand greatly with temperature.
  • For those in the audience who knew members of The Gulag:

I saw this episode last night for the first time. 
  • Hijinks - this is a word I need to use more often.  
Big Bro and Lil Sis
Good luck to my little sis as she starts her first semester of college!

2 comments:

  1. 1) I think you are partly correct. It's due to the pressure difference it creates, I believe.

    2) Problem is, that as soon as it boils, it is gonna pop the lid off because it'll boil over.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If boiling was pressure related, the lid would have to reduce the pressure under it to speed boiling. Boiling occurs when the vapor pressure equals atmospheric pressure. If the lid increases the atmospheric pressure, the vapor pressure of the water has to go up accordingly.

    ReplyDelete