A lot of nuclear engineering (power reactors) seems to be solving the Boltzmann transport equation with the diffusion approximation. This involves taking the cross sections over all energies (essentially 10,000 or so energy groups) into 2-4 energy groups - basically just taking a weighted average. This is done (mostly) using a program called SCALE.
As temperature changes the material composition changes, and then the multi-group cross sections have to be updated. This has been done historically by just running SCALE at a bunch of different temperatures. You know what the idiots in my group wanted to do? They wanted to run all of the inputs manually. In less than 15 minutes I created a bash script to run all of the inputs for us, and even parse the relevant output files. Showed the "I think I'm a real programmer, I use FORTRAN" dude what's up.
And for the most part we don't observe much of a trend in the expected output - they are not supposed to be flat; so the SCALE input deck is probably wrong.



No comments:
Post a Comment