Sunday, December 26, 2010

Lunar Eclipse


On December 21st (Winter Solastice) there was a  total eclipse of the moon.  I stayed outside to watch it.  It was very cold and pretty.  I tried to take a photo of it every 30 minutes, but I gave up toward the end.  In any case I compiled them in Adobe on the left, where you can see the progression as the eclipse ended.  I just realized now that I should have rotated them so that the patterns on the moon are aligned; I think they are close.

Redish Tint
Wiki
I was intrigued by the copper color of the moon; I attributed it to the absorbition and emission of light scattering through ozone. Why the color changes can be seen by thee figure on the right. 





Source
The wavelength of reid and orange light is between 590 and 650 nm.  I thought that the copper color the moon had during that time was because it matched the spectral bands of ozone / oxygen, as shown to the left.

The real reason seems to be a bit more clouded.  NASA writes "The molecules in Earth's atmosphere scatter short wavelength light (e.g., yellow, green, blue) more than long wavelength light (e.g., orange, red). This process, which is responsible for making sunsets red, also gives total eclipses their characteristic red-orange color. However, the exact color can vary considerably in both hue and brightness." 


Maybe I am close.  There is a dip in the reflectivity in that wavelength.

No comments:

Post a Comment