Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Bicyling Speed

I think I would be an easy target for Nerd Sniping.  Today I was waiting to cross Volunteer Blvd to go yoga when I saw a bicylist start from a stop.



Expected Profile
I started to think about the velocity profile.  From experience I thought it would be something like $1-e^{-x}$ (shown on the left), but I wondered if this could be derived.

In my first model I assumed a constant force, $F=C$.  Acceleration is the derivative of velocity, and force is related to acceleration by Newton's Laws, so with a bit of math I found that the velocity profile for a constant force: $v(t)=C/m t$, where m is the mass.  This linear profile didn't fit in with what I observed and what you all know: it is much easier to peddle a bike after you get it going, but hard to start. (A linear profile allows for this, but not to the extent that is observed.)

Oscillating Profile
I then reconsidered my assumption that the force is constant. A small correction would be to add an oscillating term to represent that it is easier to push down on the peddles when they are upright compared to horizontal, so the force looked like $F(t)=C_1 + C_2 cos[\omega t]$.  This, however, would only make velocity profile oscillate and didn't give me the correct long term behavior.




I added an exponential term to the force $C_1+C_2 cos[\omega t]+C_3 e^{t}$, and that seemed to do the trick, as shown on the left.  I am not quite sure on how to justify the addition of the exponent term, however.  I think an argument could be based on that the amount of force depends on what is already inputed, similar to how atomic decay rates are exponential because they depend on the amount of matter at that time.  Not entirely convinced though, I  get the feeling that I am trying to make the physics fit the model.

8 comments:

  1. You nerd sniped the hell out of me on this one.

    I think starting from a stop has much lower initial acceleration. I think a better model has velocity following a power law with an acceleration term which decays to zero. I spent almost forty minutes trying to find this equation. But I couldn't. Oddly enough, the best fit I can find is a pH curve.

    http://www.phadjustment.com/images/jpg/ph_titration_curve.jpg

    Only instead of mL NaOH and pH as the axes, velocity is the y axis and force input on the x axis. My opinion is that this more closely models starting from a stop on a bicycle- slow acceleration for a time, then a brief period of high acceleration until you are close to your top speed at which point acceleration drops significantly until decaying almost to zero.

    I'm glad there are no trucks driving through my cubicle farm, because I would have been killed by this problem. The frustrating part is I'm sure this should be a really simple equation, with maybe three terms, and I just can't land on them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. #28,

    What the PH titration curve is the Logistic Function.

    I don't know if I agree that starting from a stop has a lower initial acceleration.

    MJU

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you really just call me that...? I have a name, Murph. That's just because of how blogspot handles my blog account.

    Also, having raced against runners, the bicycle has a much slower start. Now, obviously things change significantly if you start talking about gear changes and such, but assuming you're working with a one-speed bike that is optimized for a reasonable road speed (in the 15-20 mph range), you will have a much slower acceleration phase. If we're talking about choosing a gear optimized for low speed, obviously the acceleration phase will come much sooner, but will also plateau out almost immediately.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, and if you're adding terms to handle the input force, modeling as a sinusoid isn't bad, though i think you're backward that it's easier to push on vertical pedals than horizontal ones (for torque reasons). However, if you think about how you bike, you have a short pulse of pushing with one foot that lets off before you reach BDC/your other foot reaches TDC. I'd say this is closer to a sawtooth wave than a sine wave. That idealizes out the torque effects, though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Aaron,

    I have found more information about the problem.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycle_performance - this gives an expression of the power.

    I also found some data for the final velocity and time it took to reach that velocity, I computed the acceleration and published them here: https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AoJK46uCg0kmdGhsczJKczdHVEVlRk9OY1A2Y0o1Y2c&hl=en&authkey=COCz3KgI

    JBike6 - In MATLAB, but seems to be a simulation of a bicycle. (http://ruina.tam.cornell.edu/research/topics/bicycle_mechanics/JBike6_web_folder/JBike6_download.htm)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also found this (http://audiophile.tam.cornell.edu/~als93/Publications/06PA0459BicyclePaperv45.pdf) - Interesting, but I couldn't find out through a brief scan where the actually equations of motion are.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Where did you find the data for that velocity vs. time spreadsheet?

    ReplyDelete
  8. http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41243

    I don't really trust the source. You should get out there and time it for one of your workouts.

    Do you think that I could use a bike in the gym to get the same information / run experiments?

    ReplyDelete