Monday, December 6, 2010

Radiation Mess Ups

I am reading about the effects of radiation on humans (Turner, Chapter 13), and there have been a lot of messed up treatments.

  • Doctors tried to shrink the thryoid in children in the 1930-40s by x-ray radiation.
  • X-rays (large doses, several Gy ) where used to treat ringworm of the scalp in 1940-50s.  There was a six-fold increase in thyroid cancer of those treated.
  • X-ray doses where delivered to the spine to treat ankylosing spondylitis in Britain in the 1930s.
I wonder what procedures we are doing now that will be silly in 60 years?

2 comments:

  1. To be fair, with adequate control, at least the thyroid one could work, no?

    Also, the current thyroid-shrinking method is still radiation- ingested radioactive iodine concentrates in the thyroid, eventually killing tissue. Not sure that's the best method.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know much about radiation treatments. That being said, I talked to a professor and in principle it works (kills cells). The problem is that with gammas you are only guaranteed a probability of interacting, so the intensity follows an exponential decay and it is very hard to get the gamma to deposit all of its energy in the target area.

    ReplyDelete