Sunday, January 9, 2011

Candy Show

I went to the Philadelphia Candy Show with my Mother, Esther and Lindsay (friend of the family) for the bakery.  So much chocolate.   The best was from E. Guittard; I have 14 bars distributed over their 6 flavors.  I even got samples of their "Nocturne", which is 91% cocoa butter - its great dark chocolate.  Plus, I got a hat from them!

When we got back we compared our chocolate to literature ratio.  Esther clearly had the best ratio.

Chocolate Egg with Chocolate Decals
I also learned that gummy bears, gummy worms, and sour things all have the same base (with the exception of one product).  They just get the sour flavor by adding it on the outside.  I always knew that I was being jipped buying gummy worms instead of the cheaper gummy bears in Giant Eagle.

 Imagine my face
I also found out that I can have my face painted with cocoa butter on truffles for under $50,000.  The company, Birnn, had a really neat truffle top that looked like it was painted on; an impressive amount of detail.


There was also a company that did chocolate in different shapes.  The peas and carrots where an excellent choice.

Finally, I learned that Cargill makes chocolates.  I knew of them from making pesticides and working with Monsanto in Roundup Ready crops.

4 comments:

  1. Something about Cargill Chocolate just seems a terrible terrible idea....

    ReplyDelete
  2. How about Cargill Malts? http://www.cargill.com/food/na/en/brands/product-line-brands/index.jsp

    It all really makes sense. Farmers usually need to take out a loan out to buy the seed, and the seed company usually has a lower interest rate than the bank. This then leads to the contract idea; Cargill pays the farmer to raise so many acres of crop from its seeds.

    The same thing happens in poultry / livestock all the time, we are on a contract from Koch's to raise our birds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess if your interaction with them is primarily as a seed company, it's less weird. I think of them more as a chemicals company (like with Round up) so it's slightly further outside their core business...

    Koch's...the sporting goods store? I honestly don't know what Koch's is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Koch is where we sell our turkeys too.

    ReplyDelete