Out of 27,107 undergrads and 6,101 grad students, I am the only one at UT with the last name of Urffer. Learned that at the card office today, and I thought, "Damn, I am one of a kind!" The more I think about it the less significant it seems - after all, there are no Kummers, Kanters or Tarbets. There are 27 Flynns though, and 40 Wards.
On first impressions UT looks like the ugliest university campus I have been on. I think relating it to Penn State is a good analogy. Knoxville is like State College, but a little bit bigger and with a downtown consisting of a couple of business. UT is spread out like University Park, and has the brick building look - though I think University Park building exteriors are a little better maintained. The inside of UT's buildings are nice, so I think in all there is nothing to complain about.
Another striking thought I had while walking around was the lack of Asians.
At UT I will be characterizing scintillating materials for neutron detectors, with applications in nuclear security, along with some modeling of these detectors. A lot of measurements.
There was a lot of information presented to me - I need time to sift through it all before I can make more sense of the project.
Yes, but how many Camilo's are there?
ReplyDelete