Monday, July 19, 2010

July 19th, 2010

Today we had a kids day.  We went on a bike ride this morning (~40 miles), riding along the Lehigh Canal.  Isaac and I also jumped into the river off a tree, alas David is scared of water when he cannot see the bottom. In the afternoon we all did odds and ends, ending up sorting peaches and digging up potatoes.  It was a good day, I got in some quality time with the brats.

On the drive to the canal I found out that Eli is not only a better singer than I am, but also knows the words to more pop music than I do.

I spent the weekend working setting up the coolers.  One one unit is completely finished, blue box still needs shelves and for the compressor to be hooked up before it is operational.

I also spent a few hours on Saturday preparing the brooder house for poults.  I haven't done that in forever; it was fun to do that stuff again and recall childhood memories.  We used to have foot races in the shavings, and in the days before automatic waters had to refill the glass waters every day.  My father would become furious when we broke the jars, or spilled water on the shavings.  The most exciting time is getting the poults, and dumping them into the ring.  We would get up around 4 a.m. (the poults came from Canada) and help Father and Art before school.

On Friday we relived another childhood memory by cleaning the house.  Until I was a sophomore in college we would clean our entire house every Thursday.  Mother would make us oatmeal that tasted terrible, and we would do the upstairs before school, and the downstairs after school.  When we were in elementary school us boys would jockey for who got to spray trees with Father (at that time somebody needed to drive the tractor while Father sprayed) in order to get out of cleaning.  Strange how at that time cleaning was worse than inhaling carcinogenic chemicals.

No comments:

Post a Comment