Sunday, August 29, 2010

Discrete Values of Wave Equation

Transitions between states in the atom are in discrete energy levels, as shown by Schrodinger's Equation.  In order to go to a higher state, the atom must adsorb a photon of the exact energy as the gap between states.  I wonder if such a photon exists.

I think a good analogy (which is probably the source of my error) is our representation of a number.   There are infinitely many numbers between 1.01 and 1.001 which means that we would need infinitely many photons to have a continuous range of photon energies so that one would be the discrete, exact, energy.

A simple counter argument would be that we witness these transitions all the time - but the transitions we see the source atom is in external fields, and these fields result in splitting of the bands.

I think somewhere I am making a grave mistake, so if you find it please let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment