Frecon Orchards is a pretty big orchard (~100 acres) about 30 minutes away from home. We go there to get orchard supplies. It looks really pretty - the old orchard blocks are on a hill, with the classic twisted limb look.
With the newer rootstocks trees need support in order to remain upright in storms / when they are full of fruit. It was interesting to look at Frecon's new apple bocks.
 |
| Two Wire Trellis Trees |
In one block I was surprised at how dense they were planting their trees. One block (on the left) was on a two wire trellis system that was only a third of the way up the post, suggesting that more wires will be added. Reminded me of grapes. I knew of some research plantings that had this many wires, but not any production.
The other thing I found interesting was in another block they had a post per tree. Consider that the post would probably rot in 10 years (ours did) they must have a very vigorous rootstock in order for the tree to need the support in 10 years. I wonder what happens after the post rots away - won't the tree fall over, or is it meant to be removed?
No comments:
Post a Comment