Friday, August 13, 2010

UT Detector Research Background

The group that I am in is looking at designing a neutron detector for the use at ports (the grant money comes form the Department of Homeland Security).   The problem is that the current detectors use Helium 3, which we are running out of because making Helium 3 is a proliferation risk.  Our group is looking at using Li.

Leaving a lot of details out, the way the detector works is quite simple.  A neutron is captured by the lithium, which then emits an alpha or beta particle.  The alpha / beta particle scintillates (emits light) in the detector, and it is the light which is observed.

I gather there are three professors in the group: Dr. Miller (my advisor), Dr. Penumadu, and Dr. Melchner (Scintillating Materials).  There is one postdoc, Niel, who works with about 4 undergrads (a bunch of chemist) to create polymer scintillating materials.  Fellow grad students are Martin (who did the simulation work) and Alex (who did measurments).  I will be following up on Martin's work, and taking over some measurements from Alex.

I will be learning how to do the measurements tomorrow, so that should be exciting.  What is also (well, not really) exciting is that I get to renew my affair with Geant4!  This time around I will try to understand more what is happen, so maybe I will actually like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment